Re: [Harp-L] Heating wax over direct heat - dangerous

This sounds dangerous (see post below).

Some on the list may remember that harmonica customizer "G" was badly
burned in a wax fire while heating wax over a direct flame to treat
wooden combs. He needed extensive skin grafts and nearly lost two
fingers. I think his kitchen was also damaged in the fire. Here's a
link to a post he wrote about 18 months after the event:

http://harp-l.org/mailman/htdig/harp-l/2003-September/msg00338.html

Dave, you may be following good protocols to avoid fire and the bodily
injury and building damage that may result, but not everyone reading
this may be mindful of the hazards, hence this note of caution and
mention of alternatives.

All the instruction I have read on melting beeswax on a stove includes
the warning to use a double boiler to avoid fire.

An alternative is a double boiler is to use a low-heat electric warmer,
like the kinds used to warm potpourri or wax for hair removal. These
work slowly at a low temperature but will melt the wax. However, these
may be too small to soak a harmonica comb without pouring the wax out
onto another surface. Another solution is a slow cooker like the
Crockpot and similar devices, or an electric fondue pot. These again
will hear wax slowly at a safe heat level, and some versions may have a
large enough bottom surface to allow for placing the entire comb
surface on the  wax at once.

Winslow