Re: [Harp-L] Hunter & Rubin Comments/Stories

The Broadway show "Big River" is sometimes revived and played in smaller
regional venues. It is a fun production with excellent songs in an old timey
style and features harmonica prominently in the score.

I was asked to do a two week run of this show in Dearborn, Michigan way  back
in 1995 or so. Reading music definitely helped get me the gig. Because the
director was willing to think outside the box, I had a great time working this
show. He allowed creative input and even assigned me a small speaking part as
 one of Huck Finn's "boys" in the cave.

I was allowed to play percussion instruments in the pit orchestra when not
playing the harmonica. Unbelievably, the director also liked my opening concept
 and allowed the harmonica to actually bring the show into existance every
evening. Dressed in period Huck costume, I wandered out onto a dark stage after
 the curtain went up, improvising on harmonica, as if I were walking down a
country road amusing myself. A lone spotlight followed me as I meandered out
to  center stage. The opening theme was part of my improv - in other words, I
played  around with the melody, making it appear that I was creating it out of
snippets  of improvisational moments. When I hit center stage, I paused,
looked around and  then hit the opening theme at tempo, using body English to
"conduct" so that the  lights came up and orchestra joined me on the downbeat. It
was a great moment  relived every night for two weeks - bringing a stage play
to life through the  harmonica from darkness, silence and improv. If you aren't
familiar with the  opening of this show, a fiddler and guitar player join the
harmonica player on  stage and dancers start streaming out from stage left
and right - in this  particular production, they also came down the aisles from
the back of the house  through the audience to the stage. It is a real lively
introduction full of  movement and sound.

To experience a stage production of this sort is highly recommended - the
"family" of show people involved is much more diverse and lively than being in a
 band only. Also, it does give insight into how to create a more successful
experience for an audience using all senses, timing and movement - more so
than  just standing on stage playing music - a worthy experience for all you
serious performers.

The Iceman