RE: [Harp-L] You wanna play harp?

I had to laugh when I read smo-joe's post below. I was a "harmonica owner" for about 18 years--I gotta Hohner Pocket Pal when I was about 13 years old because a friend of mine had one and it seemed like fun. It came with Jon Gindick's book & cassette tape "Country & Blues Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless" (total price: $12). I played it for about 2 weeks and maybe listened to about 1/5 of the tape--then, over the next 18 years, I played it about one week every year, give or take a year here and there as I found and lost it many times. I found it again last year--almost exactly one year ago--and began again in earnest. It was different this time--it really got under my skin. I was consistently practicing anywhere from 20 minutes to upwards of 2 hours a day. I think I would have stuck with it no matter what, but the vast amount of resources I found online really encouraged me and the warm community of harpers (here and on a couple of other sites/forums) was (and still is) inspiring. I'm probably somewhere between a "novice" and an "intermediate" at this point and aim to be able to play along side others as best I can in as many styles of music as possible. I am amazed at how much the harmonica has become a part of my life--I almost never travel anywhere w/out at least one on me. I thought I'd discovered electricity the first time I bent the two-hole draw. All this below will sound incredibly boring and technical, so I should preface it with the statement that I'm having a blast! In the last year, my education/acquisition has gone something like this:

PROGRESS
* Single notes by puckering (aka, lip blocking--started out being able to play these thanks to being a "harmonica owner" for 18 years)
* Bending (came around month 2 or 3; got the 2-hole first, but the 3-hole was much harder for me and I still have a lot of work to do on it); Blowbends (came somewhat easy to me around month 4 or 5; still struggling with the 10-hole on this one); no overblows or overdraws (yet!!!)
* Octaves (started trying tongue-blocking around 9 months; can hit some in stride, some not so much, and sometimes I have to stop to mop up the drool... )
* Vibratto (still improving; I have gracefully given myself lots of room for this improvement to take place)
* Positions/Ease & Movement Around the Instrument (play mostly in 1st or 2nd position; have a few dozen straight harp tunes down by heart; know a fair number of blues riffs; got a handful of scales under the belt--memorized, not mastered; basically, I sound so-so solo and can occasionally play along to recorded music)
* Harmonic Understanding (couldn't sound out crap by ear when I started; it wasn't until month 8 or 9 where this started to come a little more naturally--I may have relied too much on sheet music and tabs in the beginning instead of forcing myself to use my ear or sound things out myself; I believe this is a result of practicing scales, having the layout and sounds of the harmonica become more ingrained in my memory/muscles, etc.)
* Full appreciation for the instrument (now realize I've got a lifetime of learning ahead of me instead of one 40 minute cassette tape!)
* Some highlights (my 4 yr. old can now recognize what I'm playing if he knows the song; made my wife cry once by surprising her w/ one of "our songs"; can make the dog cry with the 10-hole blowbend; now hear harmonica almost everywhere--ads, movies, songs on the radio, etc.; occasionally feel like I'm expressing something inside of me)

HARMONICAS (total spent: $173 + $25 S&H for 4 diatonics and 1 chromatic)
*August '07 - Hohner Pocket Pal (had since early teendom)
*October '07 - Hohner Special 20 (C): $22 (was not particular impressed; perhaps I was thinking the harp was going to make up for my lack of technique, but I still don't much like it; the reeds feel so stiff to me)
* December '07 - Lee Oskar Major (G): $26 (louder, easier vibratto sound for me, but didn't much care for the larger size)
* March '08 - Hohner Marine Band (Bb) & Hohner Golden Melody (A): $20 & $22 (I like both of these harmonicas a lot even though they're very different from one another)
* June '08 - Hohner Super 64 Chromonica: $83 (e-bay; I love this harp both for it's sound & feel, and that it makes learning to read music/music theory easier having one instrument which I can play chromatic more easily)

CDs (Total: $53)
* Hazmat Modine (Bahamat): $10 (iTunes)
* Chris Michalek (Monk Alters Chi): $12 (CDBaby)
* JJ Milteau (Blue 3rd, Memphis): $13 & free (part of free e-music intro download)
* Jason Ricci & New Blood (Blood on the Road): $10 (iTunes)
* Son of Dave (O2): free (part of free e-music intro download)
* Sonny Terry (Wizard of the Harmonica, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee at Sugar Hill): Free (public library)
* Little Walter (A Proper Introduction to Little Walter): $8
* Sonny Boy Williamson II (Essential Sonny Boy Williamson Collection, One Way Out): Free (public library)

LESSONS/INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS (Total: $40)
* Jon Gindick's "Country & Blues Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless" (had since teendom)
* Kim Field's "Harmonicas, Harpers, and Heavy Breathers" (free--public library)
* Jon Gindick's Bending & Tone Workshop ($25)
* Adam Gussow's blues harmonica lessons (free--YouTube)
* Catherine Schmidt-Jones's online course: Understanding Basic Musical Theory (free online)
* Dave Barrett's "Scales, Patterns, & Bending Exercise #1" ($15)
* A bunch of different websites (Pat Missin, Planet Harmonica, Harmonica Sessions, HarpTabs, Diatonic & Chromatic Reference Pages, etc.)

After all this: Yeah, I wanna play harp.

-marc molino