[Harp-L] performing solo

Seems like there was some interest in this subject.

  I am a regular at the weekly Jackson Hole Hootenanny, where I almost always perfom a couple of songs each evening solo.  (I also get "side work" for other performers.)  People are often surprised that it works.  I realized early on that it wouldn't work for long to get up every week and play an instrumental (I'm not that entertaining!), so I kinda forced myself to sing -- which now I really, really enjoy!  In my case it is mostly blues, with some other personal favorites that work well in the setting, such as Steve Goodman's Turnpike Tom, Randy Newman's Sail Away, Sam Cooke's Bring It On Home To Me, Dock Boggs' Got No Sugar Baby Now.  Rock Island Line goes over well (with tempo changes).  The ability to change tempo and hold notes w/o coordinating with a band is HUGE.  (I rembering hearing an interview with Ralph Stanley where he talked about that aspect of singing solo acappella -- talk about freedom of expression!)

  People are surprised that it sounds seamless -- given that I'm not singing and playing simultaneously -- the rhythm hangs in there somehow -- keepin' the foot tapping I guess!

  By the way, Grant Dermody came and peformed a featured set at the Hootenanny a few summers ago that was almost all solo -- it was great.  I also saw Joe Filisko perform a few solo's on stage in Augusta last summer (Blues Week) -- also great!

  And, it's hard to piss off your bandmates!!

  --John K.

Got a little couch potato?