Re: [Harp-L] Link to Steven Tyler harmonica article

On Jul 11, 2007, at 8:47 PM, Rick Dempster wrote:

This is fair enough comment. I haven't hear Tyler, but manufacturing is
a business, and this topic certainly relates to past discussions about
the popularising of harmonica, its visibility (OK, audibility) in the
media etc.

Ok, the other day I said I wasn't enthused by Tyler's playing. Tyler is a decent player BUT: It was my personal opinion based on having been lucky enough to have lived in a time when the best players were available, for virtually a song (so to speak). There are even a few on this list who can blow his socks off.

It was possible to go to Maxwell st. Chi-town, or Percy Bossier's road house in Baton Rouge, and hear Little Walter or Rice Miller for the price of a few Blatzs or Fallstaffs. Can't beat that with a stick and I didn't know how lucky I was (at the time).

I recall back in the late 60s here in Oz, the local street rag
('Go-Set') ran a poll on who readers felt was the best guitar player.
The result? Elvis Presley!

Two points. 1... They have a comic here called Jay Leno and this fellow occasionally goes out on the street and asks people questions. Result? People are stupid and can't even tell you who is sitting in the chair in the Lincoln Memorial.. 2... For many years Playboy magazine (the girly rag) ran a jazz poll and year after year Miles Davis would win best trumpet. What a joke. The poll was (obviously) based on whom read playboy, and NOT jazz officianados.

The question of who did more for the guitar out of  Elvis presley or,
say, Charlie Christian is probably a waste of time, the two both
representing important aspects of the establishment and development of
the instrument and it's use and repertoire.

Yes, some people are interested in whom is the best on an instrument, and some are more interested in whom did more to PROMOTE interest in an instrument (whether deliberately or by association). I agree that if it is a good harp, play it in good health.

Some harps have dumb names anyway. Golden Melody is cute, Marine Band is nostalgic, but I will wait for the name special-20 to change to the Charley McCoy. (p.s. already HAVE a Charlie Musselwhite..... tee hee)

smokey-joe

RD