[Harp-L] godd or bad haprs?

In a message dated 7/10/2007 3:39:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Harpo  Mark
writes:

I find myself going thru allot of harps lately.  Those Special 20's aren't
cheap either. Maybe its not my harps,  but me.  Sometimes notes just plain
disappear in the middle of a solo. Sometimes I'll  pick up that same harp later on
and find it works just fine.  Is it me just  blowing too hard on 'em. Should
new harps last more than just a few songs? I  need tips here folks. Maybe I'll
start buying the cheaper harps and pitch them  after each  night.

Mark,  harps can last for many years if played with good technique (don't
play them too  hard).  In his harp repair DVD, Rupert Oysler works on one he's
had for 19  years which had only one reed replacement in all that time.
  But if your harps work fine later, this is not the whole  answer.  As
Iceman suggested, you may be blowing too hard for the way  the harp is setup.  If u
play very hard, u may have to increase the gaps  till they play as u like.
  Or you may be experiencing an abundance of saliva which causes  that
problem.  I read somewhere that the excess saliva problem gets cured  with
experience, but can't comment on that myself.  When it  occasionally happens to me, i
tilt my head up as i play and it clears the  harp.
  I don't think buying cheap harps is a good idea, but if they play  well for
u, what the heck - why not save some money.
ron -  PS: What's with that subject?  How can anyone use the  archives with a
subject like  that?