[Harp-L] Re: Subject: The Last Waltz/Muddy Waters,

The Last Waltz is a great concert movie...maybe the greatest.  Some
clarifications on the harp content -- Paul Butterfield's main song in the
movie is "Mystery Train".  He also plays on "Mannish Boy" with Muddy Waters,
but Butterfield is just droning a note through the entire song via circular
breathing, which is a technique he was studying at the time.  From what I've
heard, most players these days consider it a pretty worthless skill for
harmonica.  (Maybe not so for saxophone and some others.)

In addition to what Elizabeth mentioned, there is also a brief acoustic
backstage performance by some members of The Band in which Levon Helm (the
drummer) is playing harmonica.  Levon's excellent autobiography, called This
Wheel's On Fire after a song they wrote with Bob Dylan, mentions that the
five members of The Band could play 18 instruments all told.  If you are
really interested in The Last Waltz (both the movie and the concert itself),
I can highly recommend Helm's book, as it has a large chapter about how the
concert was put together and how Scorcese made the film.  Of course, it also
packs a ton of interesting anecdotes about Bob Dylan...that's why I picked
it up.

Jonathan Metts