[Harp-L] Controlling Feedback

In addition to all the techniques mentioed, I have also used a bit of
technology to get around the feedback problem - especially at a
really loud open mic where I have to stand too close to my amp to be
able to crank it up properly.

First, I found a Sabine Solo feedback eliminator on eBay for $28.
They sell for about $300 new, and come up on ebay occasionally. They
actually work, increasing volume by at least 50%. It's a computerized
device that needs a power supply, turn it in and hit the scan button
and it locks onto just the top 8 main feedback freqs and doesn't seem
to affect anything else at all.

I also found a thingie on eBay called a FEED BLOK, which hasn't been
made in quite awhile apparently. Don't know much about it, but it
just caught my eye. A lot less sophisticated than the Solo. Comes
with a voluime and tone control, uses no power or batteries, so I
don't know how it works, but it seems to be somewhat effective at
reducing feedback. I can crank the amp all the way up and use the
FeedBlok at a remote volume control. Not sure how it works though -
haven't opened it up yet - and am not sure yet if it is affecting the
output frequencies in a less than desirable way. If you know
something about the FeedBlok, please share it with me privately if
you like.

I also found on eBay a Sampson wireless system designed for guitars
that has a little transmitter with a 1/4" plug that plugs right into
your mic. Got it for half price (got a touch of gear-itis, cough
cough). Sounds pretty good in my living room so far. I plan to go to
those open mics and set up my amp as far back as I can, then play
thru the wireless. Hope that will cut the feedback so I can finally
crank up this harp amp - and maybe I'll be less prone to tripping
over my own mic cord :-). This amp is still pretty new for me and I
have yet to hear it in a live gig setting fully cranked up!

- Robert

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222