Re: [Harp-L] Vendor Fees at SPAH

On Jul 4, 2007, at 6:13 PM, Tom Baehr wrote:

[I'm still struggling with e-mail protocol here, Joe.

No. you're not. It was I who made the mistake of sending a cc to the list. I did this for the following reasons:

1... Your argument is sound (as usual) and I wanted to look like the bad guy here. I have since (after hearing from other harp-l members) changed my mind and now agree that some (however small) recompense should be agreed on for a spot at the 'flea market'.

2. We (both) haven't actually said anything wrong, and I felt that the list might find some of the details interesting.

3. I wanted to get across a different view point.

I think you're responding to the one that went unintentionally off- list to you.

Yes, while I fully realize that you have a lot of class and probably figured that the subject was getting a little off topic, I felt that your ideas were very logical and should be shared.

I'm hoping my expanded version will make it onto the list sometime soon. Be that as it may, I'll respond to you here, on list, and let it serve as my on-list response.

I suppose we can do this until it becomes a drag, and we're told to cease and desist. I have been on the list for eons but STILL don't know what's a proper subject and what isn't. Usually, when in doubt, I don't post.

As it were, another list member suggested that spah take a 'cut'. I saw this as brilliant. In HIS words it's a win/win.

Now the way 'I' see it, if the vendor doesn't make much, he isn't hurt too badly by the 'table' charge, and spah must accept the fact that they were the good guys and by allowing the vendor to BE there, they gave the membership the opportunity to accept or reject his wares, but at least had the OPTION. In this way spah preserved and advanced the harmonica.

Then if the vendor sells well, he reaps the benefits and spah gets a fair cut. This allows spah to feel (again) like the good guy because they can now rest assured that they were correct in giving the vendor the opportunity to BE there. In this way spah is preserving and advancing the harmonica.

Over a period of time, spah can monitor this whole enchilada and get an idea (IF they're paying attention), of what will go over and what won't.

I could write a book about this whole state of affairs but I already annoy enough people as it is.

smokey-joe