[Harp-L] Re: [Hart-L] vendor fees at SPAH

Unless there is a selection process, comped/free vending space would be a nightmare.

Vendors expect to be charged a table fee; it's part of the price of doing business. At our event (Cranberry Dulcimer & Autoharp Gathering, cranberrydulcimer.com), the only free space is for workshop leaders, and they only get about 18 inches of front space. They take turns manning the table, with the guidance of staff.

This is a smaller event than SPAH, but everyone else who vends buys table space, $70 per table with a two table limit. A second table also allows for one helper.

Vendors are usually one-person operations. They're comped their registration fee, which is $50 per table. That allows them to attend all workshops and concerts. But that sort of comping doesn't cost our event anything.

If we, or SPAH, were to give away space, everyone with some sort of harebrained item would be vying for space with vendors who rely on their tables of a living, or a substantial part of their gross income. I don't think that's fair.

Tom