Re: [Harp-L] Music Minus One - Beiderbecke-- clarification

In a message dated 7/2/07 8:20:15 PM, kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> a diatonic-tuned chromatic (just descriptive: there is no such animal)
>
> What happened to the Koch harmonica?  I really dug those things.   Are they
> kaputski?

I just love it when the oblique issues take off a life on their own.

I meant that I made up the terminology and since I made it up, there is "no
such thing." My intent was to clarify the kind of harp; not comment on its
marketing.

I used the term "diatonic-tuned chromatic" to indicate a Richter diatonic
layout.

I just figured everybody knows what a diatonic harp is and if the chromatic
is based on the diatonic (Richter) is it NOT solo tuned but Richter tuned.

I should have used the phrase "Richter-tuned chromatic," which is probably
the proper term.

Of course the half-valved Hohner Slide Harp and unvalved Koch chromatic are
still on the market but only in the key of C, last I checked. But I would wager
anyone who likes the Richter layout chromatic in any other key(s) could
probably get one (some) from Seydel. I bought flat 7 chorded chromes key of C
(C7,G7 &F7) and key of G from them.

My intent is to arguably eschew obfuscation.
Phil Lloyd

 See what's free at http://www.aol.com.