[Harp-L] Plagiarism

I don't understand why this is such a hot issue that it takes up
several days on the list. T=I haven't read the Harp-L list in years,
and am just coming back. This is my first post, mostly because I
think enough has been said on this issue. I don't play anyone else's
riffs or solos - don't think I can actually. I learned by putting on
an LP, tape or CD, then just playing along on my own. I never tried
to copy what was on the stereo - just used it for background and to
pick up some technique. However, I think there is no such thing as
plagiarism. Music is often derivative - and such derivative music is
sometimes less interesting to people because it is not as original.
However, if you are doing Mozart, you will usually play it note for
note without much variation - and nobody is going to complain UNLESS
you miss a note. In a casual setting, like a piano bar, you may not
even credit Mozart. So what??? Enjoy the music! Great music is an
inspiration to musician's, and many will copy it during their own
growth. For some that means their music will never be much more than
derivative, for others it's s stepping stone on the path to greater
things. But I bet 99.9% of the audience doesn't care - they're just
enjoying the music anbd having fun. Isn't that more the point than
who is getting the credit, or the royalties? That is a subject for
attorneys...and the subject of law or intellectual property and stuff
like that is very far removed from enjoying music.

- Robert
aka: RawHarp