RE: [Harp-L] plagarism

Glenn writes:
There are many instances of counrty blues songs loosely based on forerunners. Robert Johnson, Son House and Muddy all recorded "Walkin' Blues." But the lyrics were never exactly the same, nor the the guitar parts. There are times when some country blues players like Bo Carter recycled their guitar parts for other sets of lyrics, but I can't think of a single instance where a country blues blues copped a guitar part from another artist note-for-note.

Tom Ball, can you think of any examples of this, please? In country blues, what I see are players who had their own parts worked out and appear to have prided themselves on originality.... <snip>

Hmmm... that's food for thought and your point is well taken. But since you asked... <g>

Yes, I can think of a few examples of guitar parts copped note-for-note. Elmore James' redux of Robert Johnson's "Dust My Broom" (and claiming authorship of it.) All the later "original" versions of Hambone Willie Newburn's "Rollin' And Tumblin'." William Moore's guitar rag "Old Country Rock" is mighty close to Blind Blake's "Old Southern Rag." (In fact Blake's material was often redone, and doubtlessly would have been redone note-for-note more often except for the fact that his playing was so brilliant, almost nobody else could do it.) And it could be argued that Little Son Jackson stole from Lightnin' Hopkins who stole from Funny Papa Smith who stole from Blind Lemon.

In more recent times I recall a Cream song (it might have been "Strange Brew?") in which Clapton played an entire 12-bar Albert King solo note-for-note. Stevie Ray did the same. Is that plagiarism or tribute? <shrug> I honestly don't know, but Albert didn't seem too bothered about it. Hell, if EC or SRV swiped one of *my* guitar solos, I'd be poppin' a friggin' champagne cork. :)

Having said all this, however, you're right that these occurances do seem to happen less frequently on guitar than on harp, in my opinion primarily because the guitar -- with it's chromaticism (is that even a word?) and ability to play augmented and diminished chords -- is inherently a more complex instrument than a diatonic harp. One is simply capable of playing more *stuff* on guitar, making it less likely that one could or would repeat note-for-note the work of others.

But I do hear what you're saying and I'm not in disagreement. I often teach people note-for-note licks by the old masters, but at the same time always encourage folks to use those licks as a jumping-off-point -- to develop, alter, change and improvise upon the masters' works. I'm sure that you do the same. In my opinion, what you described shows a lack of creativity and originality, but I'd still stop short at calling it outright plagiarism. I guess it's all in the semantics, no?

And BTW I respect your taking the high road and not outing said offender.

Even though I'm pretty damned curious. :)

cheers,
TB