Re: [Harp-L] Glenns' Plagiarism

--- Paul Cantin <cantin46@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
> Well let me see Glenn. Seems like you stole most of those songs you
> transposed in your Harp book.  How many books have you written that
> way? Why didn't you write some original songs and transpose them.

Trnaponse is to take a tune from one key and put it in another. I think
you mean transcribe - i.e. write down.

> Looks like you took somebody else's work and made money off their
> original work (intellectual property) Sounds like plagiarism to me.

No, because Glenn gave credit to the original artists. If he listens to
Juke and scuceeds in writing it down accurately (which requires a lot
more work that copying it on harp. Trust me, I know), then puts it on
sheet music that says "Juke, written my Marion Walter Jacobs, ARC
Music, BMI", there is absolutely no stealing of any kind going on.

> Did you return some of the money you made off their work to them or
> their estates? Little Walters sister still lives and I'm sure she can
> use some money from her brothers' work and ideas.

The legal copyright owners were properly compensated. No music
publisher in their right mind would want to invite lawsuits by failing
to properly license copyrighted works. Who among Walter's legal heirs
or family share in this income is a separate matter.

Winslow