Re: [Harp-L] bass harp question

The bass harmonica is a demanding beast, no doubt.

It was designed for oom-pah type playing where you're playing OOM
(breath) PAH (breath), OOM (breath) PAH (breath), etc.

Still, good players have been playing lines on it for years. But the
smooth lines are usually pretty short. Still, Johnny Thomson was
playing bebop bass on it when I saw him at SPAH in 1992, and Dick
Gardner made it sound like a cello when he was playing with Murad circa
1990.

Danny Wilson is one of the most solid players out there and has written
extensively about bass technique. Check out his article on the bassharp
website. He kindly allowed me to use some of this information in a HIP
article, but his original article goes into greater depth.

Winslow