Re: [Harp-L] Upgrade from Hohner Super 64

Alex -

If hard attack is causing reeds to fail, this will happen with any and
all harmonicas.

A more airtight harmonica may fail sooner, as the excess energy will
reach the reed with greater efficiency and therefore stress it more.

Consistency of response is another matter. Moouthpiece and slide play a
part, as do slot tolerances, reed gapping, and airtightness of
reedplate to comb. The more attention is given to these factors the
better the harp will be, and a good customizer will give this more
attention than a factory will.

But from your description, I think your friend needs to meet the
instrument halfway and find a way to achieve his musical objectives by
physical methods that are less punishing to the instrument.

Winslow