Re: [Harp-L] Re: Little Wing on harmonica

On Jan 21, 2007, at 10:56 PM, jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I just watched the Little Wing video.

I watched it last night, and again tonight. I'm on dial up and don't like to tie up my phone during the day.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I didn't like it.

Wasn't my cup of tea either.

After a rambling intro, he
played two notes of the melody and then immediately jumped up an octave to play the third note.
Why?

It seems to be one of his nuances in style. He strives to be different and he certainly IS.

Was it because playing the next note would have required an overblow? Or because he likes
the sound of that high blow bend?

I think he likes to show that he has enough command to hit anywhere on the harp at any time, (any place, for any reason, ANYhow)

Whatever the reason, in my opinion it was inappropriate to the
delicate melody of "Little Wing" as were all the Popperish speed licks that soon followed.

I have to agree.

(And
don't even get me started on the stage calisthenics.)

Ok, two things. I have seen Fred before and while I can listen to him, I CAN't watch. He is too animated for me and makes me tired. The quick head jerks make my spine hurt and I visualize myself in a neck brace. I think it should be illegal for someone to have that much energy. But God bless him.
He fits into a category I like to call above and below par, and the amount of either depressants or stimulants it would take a 'normal' person to reach such a stage. While this is Fred's NATURAL state, he moves like a person who is TWO speed balls ABOVE par.

Point 2. I am on dial up and after starting the upload and going to the garage, having an entire 'ciggie', coming back in, making a cup of coffee, 'Nuking it' for 2:22, I return to the computer to find that 20 minuted have transpired, I have only 1 1/2 minutes of upload, and Dave Chapelle is STILL Bulls**t**g. I (IMO) feel that if someone is going to put a video on the tube, it should be all M E A T and less fat.

I had better luck with Boogie on Raggae Woman, and to keep from actually 'seeing' Fred going through the St. Vitus Dance, I folded a piece of paper and draped it over my screen.

I will say that in my opinion Paul Butterfield didn't do a great job with "Little Wing" either,
the night Jimi sat in with his band. (You all have heard that recording right?)

Yeah, did.

I guess I'm still waiting to hear that song done right on harmonica.

Aaaah, you don't hear it that often.

Ok, let me go get my flame proof pajamas on . . .

Come to my place, I have extinguishers..........Smokey Joe & the Cafe s