Subject: [Harp-L] Microphone Cable

Not quite that simple. Since you say "used with 1/4" jacks" I'll assume you KNOW you're talking about Hi-Z application, but let's be clear that XLR is primarily used for Lo-Z applications such as vocal mics into PA systems. In the Lo-Z system the XLR cables are wired "balanced" - that is, the signal travels on 2 wires, connected to pins 2 and 3, and NEITHER is connected to ground. The Shield is connected to pin 1 AND ground - ground is actually a separate 4th conductor in an XLR system which is the metal case surrounding the 3 pins.

Now with Hi-Z, you have to be careful because some Hi-Z/XLR mics (JT30, Blues Blaster come to mind) are wired "Pin 3 hot" - that is Pin 3 goes to your 1/4" jack tip, and Ground/Pin 1 goes to the 1/4" jack ring. There is no connection to pin 2. But some other Hi-Z mics use Pin 2 instead of Pin 3. And the old Shure 545's with XLR connectors were wired different again. So you need to know what your mic wants and wire everything properly. There is no advantage to using both center wires of an XLR cable in a Hi-Z system, and you absolutely SHOULD have the cable shield connected to amp and mic ground to avoid hum.

Personally I won't use Hi-Z mics with XLR connectors - I change 'em out to switchcraft screw-ons or 1/4" jacks to avoid confusion. If you find a cable in my bag with an XLR connector at one end, you can be sure it will have an XLR connector at the other, and will be for use with my low impedance mics only. I can't tell you however how many people mistakenly use a Hi-Z-wired cable (with 1/4" at the amp end) with a Lo-Z mic, straight into their Hi-Z amp. It works, but poorly.

/Greg
http://www.BlowsMeAway.com

Hi All
In a normal cable used with 1/4" jacks do I have to use the usual
cable that is used for this? Or can I use the sort of cable used with
XLR connectors?
XLR has two wires down the centre, if I attach one to the tip connector
and the other to the barrel connector, do the copper sheild wires need
to be grounded?
Would there be any advantage to this? Better shielding maybe?

Have a Nice Life
  Christopher