Re: [Harp-L] vocal vs harp mic

In a message dated 1/8/2007 10:59:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
harri.haka@xxxxxxxx writes:

I bought  a Green Bullet years ago but was never comfortable with it. My
playing has  always been better with vocal mics. I used to think that it had to do
with  professionalism (which I lack) but that Butterfield video reminded me
of many  harp greats who use a vocal mic not only for singing but also for
harp.

I've discussed and debated this with friends and I know there is  not one
simple answer to the pros and cons of these two mic categories but  would be nice
to read comments from others on the  list.

Harri

           I can speak  for me on this, for what that's worth. I find it
easier to use a SM 58 than  anything because of the way I can hold it against the
harp. Also when I'm at a  blues jam or something I can pull the harp away form
the mic for chords and  fills and then get right on it when my lead comes. I
can't do that with a bullet  mic. I love the sound I can get from a bullet and
an amp but a lot of the time  I'm with people who only have say 8 channels
and they are all taken up and I  sing. So if I want to do both without kickin'
the guitar player outta the way I  have to stick with one mic. Sad to say but
while I'm doin' Blues With a Feeling  I'm playin' blues on a budget. Plus it
makes me concentrate on the tone I get  from the back of my throat or without
any effects or an amp to rely on.
        Randy