Re: [Harp-L] Harmonizing (was On the Road Again,,and again)

Brother Tony,

A pleasure to meet you, (electronically, at least!). Here's one group that epitomizes the harmonizing concept - http://www.harmonicamento.de/

It would be a beautiful approach to our selected instrument to make presentations, and incorporate friends and/or club members, to perform group tunes. "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" in "G", for example could be done as a root tune; subsequently adding the other harp positions for effect, i.e. "C" for second position, "F" for third position and so on.

An attempt was made to emulate a harmonica trio with diatonics and chroms by several of us some time ago. The 16 hole chrom took on some of the bass notes, the 12 hole chrom was lead and the diatonics were used as the 48 chord replacement. ( Hey, anything to save a buck or two. It's also inspirational that: a) another prospective harmonica player can see that the diatonic has potential beyond solo positional play, i.e. as a fill-in "chording" instrument, and b) that you need to get a 48 chord as soon as possible - Oh the multi-harp manipulations are amazing!)

A second chrom, or Levy-style diatonic, would harmonize or at least compliment the lead harp. If you've ever played along with "Why Can't You Love Me" by Paul deLay, Take It From The Turnaround cd, with a "C" diatonic against his (very delightful) Hohner Super 64, you can see the possibilities.

Recently at the Dallas HOOT Christmas party a grandfather and grandson played off against one-another in a chromatic "duel". The set retired with both players harmonizing with the same tune. A real show stopper performance! (You'll be able to see it in the January Newsletter: http://www.hoottexas.com/)

Stories regarding hour-after-hour harmonizing come from the annual SPAH convention:
http://www.spah.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=8598. And this year in Milwaukee should most certainly be no exception.

Such performers as: Borrah Minevitch - http://www.geocities.com/artdaane/minevitch.htm, the Harmonica Rascals and Johnny Puleo as well as many other listed groups at http://www.harmonicalinks.com/group.html, and http://www.bassharp.com/original.htm demonstrated, and continue to demonstrate, that group harmonica play is a viable and exciting venue.

Other examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bjB0AU5X_0 Or if you want a REAL treat...Play with Toots! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMxOUoF1Fcw&mode=related&search= (Warm up your C!)

Eagles' driving guitar intertwining, hmm? Wait till we have several harps wailing in unison! Er, ah, harmony!

Be Blues,

Suave Blues Man

----- Original Message ----- From: <teyers@xxxxxxxxxx>