Re: [Harp-L] Oskars and Marine Bands

There is a difference between tuning and temperament.

Richter, as Jonathan Ross notes, is really a type of construction, but
for awhile it was used to refer to the arrangement of notes as found in
a standard diatonic harmonica.

So for present purposes let's use "tuning" to mean an arrangement of
notes, as in, C in Blow 1, D in Draw 1, and so on.

Temperament has to do with how we fine tune those notes.

Just intonation uses simple mathematical ratios to make some of the
notes sound very well when played together. But not all notes sound
good in all contexts. For instance, in the simplest form of just
intonation, Draw 5 sounds great as a member of the draw chord, but
really flat and sour as a melody note. Draw 3 sounds great as part of
the draw chord and might sound OK played melodically with no
accompanying instruments but will sound flat compared with the same
note played on other instruments if they are in equal temperament.

Over the centuries, a variety of temperament systems have addressed
these and similar problems in differing ways. No-one can verify that
equal temperament was what Bach had in mind for the "well-tempered" (as
opposed to "equal tempered") clavier.

Some types of more complex chords might actually sound better in equal
temperament than in just. Even simple chords like D minor (D-F-A, or
Draw 4-5-6 on a C harp) will not sound all that good using the simplest
forms of just intonation (because the Draw 5, or F, is so flat).

As you can tell, temperament is not a simple subject, and a harmonica
player can benefit from getting acquainted with it and learning to tune
harmonicas to suit his or her preference. For instance, if you like Lee
Oskars but would prefer them in 19-limit just instead of equal
temperament, you have the power to make that happen.

Winslow