Re: [Harp-L] Richard Farrell RIP

One of things I miss most about SPAH is that Richard Farrell stopped
attending. Going through his tables of various harmonicas was beyond being like a kid
in a candy store. He always had what I needed. And what I needed was what I
didn't have. His prices were great (40% off list) and his stock was plentiful.

SBS harps. Henry Bahnson overblow Golden Melody harps. Koch chromatics C and
G (blues harp layout, so it bends); Slide Harp chromatic harmonicas (C & G)
like Koch but with half-valves so it doesn't leak as much and offers blow bends
on low end just like conventional harp. Hering chromatics in just about every
key. His lifetime comb harmonica. He sold repair tools back when most people
tossed their bad harps in the sock drawer.

And when I started teaching introductory harmonica classes, he had good,
inexpensive harmonicas that I could buy by the carton for my students.

Plus, he was always ready to talk harmonicas. And unlike many attending the
SPAH conventions, he had no sense of the chromatic being the only real
harmonica; he sold lots more diatonics and he knew where his business was.

I also made many orders over the phone and when he answered the line, I was
glad I was on the toll free line because he liked to talk. And I never had a
bad deal with him during several hundred dollars worth of harmonicas. He never
performed at SPAH (that I know), but he was one of the stars of the convention,
right up there with Pete Pederson, Gordon Mitchell and Danny Wilson.

 I've been missing   him for several years now. And now that he's gone, I'll
miss him even more.

Phil Lloyd