Re: [Harp-L] Screwing around with SP20s

If you take apart a stock SP20 that has been played extensively at both ends, you will notice from the spit residue pattern on the reedplates that the 1 and 10 hole usually leaked quite a bit compared to the other eight holes before the ends sealed up fully, if indeed they did seal up (spit residue: the wonder sealant of the future, available today! :-).  If someone wants maximum control from the start over the 1 OB or 10 OD or the most precise half-step bends possible on the 10 hole, the two missing screws may indeed help a little there.  I routinely use them for that reason, don't think it's quite a placebo effect.  If so, it's a very cheap placebo if you use screws from dead SP20s/GMs.  YMMV.  I assume that Hohner decided that saving the cost of two screws on every SP20 they manufacture was more important than my half-step bends on 10B.  I can see their point.

Stephen Schneider