Re: [Harp-L] Nails in Combs

J Compton wrote:

So harp manufacturers make more money by selling more harps...and harps apparently need to be opened up fairly soon after buying them and fairly often thereafter, but doing so causes problems
that can very easily make the harp unplayable requiring the purchase of a new harp. Hmm. I think we may have unraveled this mystery.

Hohner if you send them a relatively new harmonica will repair or replace it free of charge. If you send them a completely destroyed harmonica they will offer you a replacement at a greatly reduced price. Hardly a moneymaking proposition. I realise I'm still in the realm of making things up just like everyone else but my guess as to why Marine Band harmonicas are still nailed together is they always have been. There are several Marine Band reed profile plates that are fastened by screws. The Special 20 and the newer Golden Melody to name 2. The Marine Band Deluxe to name another. It could be worse. We could still be getting the Hohner product for the mid 1980's. If only it was a problem with nails. That would have been simple to solve. You don't know how far we've come. fjm