Re: [Harp-L] Nails in Combs

The reason for replacing the nails with screws/bolts, as far as I'm
concerned, is that the nail cannot be replaced in the hole from which it
has been removed while retaining the tight fit that it had when its
point was first pressed into the woodgrain. The woodgrain does not
retain all of its elasticity (or memory, if you like) and the hole
remains after the nail has been withdrawn, so that the fit can never
again be as tight.
Without drilling new holes in the brass plate, or perhaps using a
thicker nail every time the nail is removed, you simply cannot have as
tight a fit.
I would say if 'customisers' are doing this it is a time/cost factor;
you  have to buy self tapping screws and drill the opposing reed plate,
tap the opposing reedplate to take a machine bolt or set screw, or use a
nut on the end of a bolt. In all cases the opposing plate must be
drilled.
I don't like self tappers because they are more inclined to
cross-thread; I don't like nuts because it's one more fiddly bit to
handle - so I tap the opposing plate.
I wouldn't bother with a 'customiser' who uses nails.
Regrads,
Rick Dempster
Melbourne,
Australia

>>> Ken Hildebrand <airmojoken@xxxxxxxxx> 27/02/2007 3:56:16 >>>
I've bought a few 'custom' Marine Band harps over
the past few years, that still have the nails holding
the reedplates on (instead of screws).

I was kind of disappointed to see this in a 'custom'
harp, but the customizer must think that the nails
are good enough, and/or if the reedplastes need to be
removed, then it should be sent back to the customizer
for service.

In any case, I find it disappointing that some
customizers still use nails or have reverted back to
using nails (from using screws).

Ken H in OH