Re: [Harp-L] Nails in Combs

Winslow Yerxa wrote:
>Rick Epping has articulated the belief - and I apologize in advance if
>this paraphrase from memory is a mischaracterization - that nails allow
>the reedplate to float above the comb in a sort of dynamic relationship
>that allows them to vibrate more freely and perhaps adapt to small
>changes in the size and shape of the wooden slab.

The only way I can see that this might be an advantage is if the comb isn't machined perfectly flat or the reedplate is warped--i.e., if the harp is poorly made.

Otherwise, how is this "floating" a good thing?  If the plate's not flat to the comb, wouldn't that inhibit the efficient transmission of vibrations from the plate to the comb?  And isn't that the point of having the plates on top of the comb in the first place?

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com