Re: Re: [Harp-L] DVD audio question

Dave Murray wrote:
> To capture:
>   Start the free program Audacity.
>   Select stereo mix as input from the pull-down
>   Start the DVD
>   Start recording before the music that you want starts.
>   Stop recording when done.
>   Edit with Audacity as required.
> To save in burnable state:
>   Export MP3 from Audacity (requires free plug-in)
> Burn:
>   Your own way of burning MP3 files to CD.

To which I would add -- be sure and turn off all other sound sources
on your computer while you're doing this.  If you usually get
a "ding" or a "you've got mail" audio message when mail arrives and
this happens while you're capturing audio from a DVD, you'll get
that sound mixed in.  I have a recording given to me by a friend
that he ripped in this way, and about every 10-15 seconds his
Outlook message notification dings.  I still think I'm getting mail
when I listen to that song ;-)

> When my Windows Media Player upgraded itself to 11.0 it stopped
> ripping from my backup CDs and I had to go to my original CDs.
> That's the end of transferring my compilation CDs to my MP3
> player using Media Player.

There's a freeware program called Exact Audio Copy (EAC for short)
that rips from CDs to MP3s, and works quite well.  It even
interfaces to an external database for CD information, if you like,
so you don't have to name the tracks yourself.  Beats the pants off
Media Player for ripping.  iTunes also rips CDs, though I haven't
tried it on backups/copies.

-tim