[Harp-L] Toots recordings

Hey Mike,
  It's hard to find a bad Toots recording.  I'd agree with the other guy on
the list about the "Affinity" cd.  But I believe you will find it listed
under Bill Evans rather than Toots if you go looking for it.  I think Toots
himself considers that his best work.
  I also dig the one he did with Joanne Brackeen on piano; he tackles
"Giant Steps" on that recording.  It's called "Captured Alive".  Also the
"Only Trust Your Heart" session with Fred Hersch on piano.  "Man Bites
Harmonica!" and "The Soul of Toots Thielemans" are nice, too.
  I like William Galison because he kind of sounds halfway between Toots
and Stevie Wonder.  He's got a little rock in his playing; he can really dig
into a groove and milk it.  And, of course, everybody could take a lesson in
tone from Charlie Leighton or Larry Adler.
  I know the old-timers like to complain about the state of the chromatic
harmonica.  Frankly, I'm a little sick of their bellyaching.  Of course, the
instrument could use some more players.  But if you really look around; it's
in pretty good hands.  There are some fine players out there and they all
have a little something different to say.  Maybe the classical side is a
little thin, but I think there are a number of really solid jazz players who
are only going to get better.  Just my opinion.

Mick Zaklan