Re: [Harp-L] Nickle v Chrome mouthpiece

In a message dated 2/23/2007 8:06:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
BiscuitBoy714 writes:

In a message dated 2/23/2007 7:03:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx writes:

        I worked in a plating shop for  8 years and before I left I had
worked my way up to the chrome department. My  big job was doing the motor covers
for Harley's. (they lost the contract about  a year after I left) Just about
any time you come in contact with something  that is chrome plated metal it has
some nickel right underneath the chrome.  The process is copper plate, nickel
plate and then chrome. Even when chrome  plating aluminum you do a zinc
coating then copper then nickel then chrome. So  what I'm saying is that sooner or
later when the chrome wears off, and it will  unless it is a very expensive
plating process, you come in contact with the  nickel anyway. I did see people
who couldn't handle working around the nickel.  Whenever your covers have a
little rust showing through or they won't polish  shiny anymore the chrome is
going and the nickel is left. You can put chrome  on steel with copper strike
first and without the nickel but it doesn't come  out shiny, it just looks like
kind of a satin finish. You don't want to know  about the chemicals involved,
trust me.
       Randy

Hohner  used nickel until about ten years ago. They stopped due to
nickel  allergies becoming a health concern (possibly a concern of the
German  government via regulation as opposed to a voluntary one); not
user what  they use now. This goes for covers as well as  for
mouthpieces.

Hering uses chrome. I'm not aware of allergy  concerns regarding skin
contact  chrome.

Winslow

AOL at _AOL.com_
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/1615326657x4311227241x4298082137/aol?redir=http://www.aol.com) .