From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Garry Hodgson
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 10:25 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] civil war harps

David Coulson <ndavid.coulson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In Winslow's  response to Iceman's posting he states that the popular
> image of harmonica playing in the Civil War was the creation of
> Hollywood screen writers, and that harmonica production was too low
> until the 1870s or 1880s for the instrument to have been widespread.
> However, in the Alan Bates collection site he links to in the same
> response, it says this: "First imported in quantity in the early
> 1860s, they (harmonicas) became popular with soldiers from both north
> and south.  Many harmonica remains have been found around Civil War
> camp sites."
> So which is correct?

i don't know how widespread they were.  but i have seen a harmonica from
that time in the battlefield museum at gettysburg.  i believe it was found
at
the battle site.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.