Re: [Harp-L] Theory, etc. - history of positions

Harmonica production was too low in the 1860s for harmonicas to have
been very widespread in the US during slavery times. Production wasn't
really large enough until about the 1870s or '80s, which was in fact a
time of great hope for black folks, with African Americans actually
getting elected to State office, until white racists figured out ways
to shut them out of the entire democratic process for the better part
of a century.

The popular image of the harmonica being played by Civil War soldiers
was created by Hollywood screenwriters. They remembered the very real
phenomenon of the harmonica being very widespread during the first
world war of 1914-1918, when annual harmonica production (and
exportation) was well into the multiple millions, and projected that
back to the Civil war scenes they were writing (soldiers gone off to
war, a past era, harmonica). Some folks I know will disagree, but I'm
pretty certain this is a false image. The production and distribution
just weren't there.

While there were harmonicas known to be available in small quantities
in the U.S. as early as the 1830s, they were all-blow instruments and
were handcrafter instruments of some complexity that were clearly
neither widely distributed nor not within the purchasing power of poor
folks like slaves. Here are a couple:

http://www.usd.edu/smm/Aeolian.html

http://www.mfa.org/collections/search_art.asp?recview=true&id=51479&coll_keywords=&coll_package=10088&coll_start=1

You can actually hear the latter one being played.

The pain of being black or green or just plain human in a brutal world
will certainly come out of your horn if you live it, to paraphrase
Charlie Parker, but it's interesting to note that the early African
American blues recording artists played as much in first position as
they did in second, and bent notes up high and down low instead of in
the middle, as opportunity allowed. Second position didn't really come
to dominate until perhaps the 1940s in the Northern urban setting of
Chicago.

Memphis in the 1930s saw players choosing positions according to the
chord progression. If there was a strong IV chord, they used second
position, where Draw was your home chord and Blow was that other chord
that we call IV. If harmony of a tune was strong on the V side (as in
the common I-vi-ii-V progression known as the salty dog), they used
first position, where Blow was the home chord and Draw was the other
stuff. They may not have known the theory, but they could figure out
what fit the chords by ear, and they chose positions accordingly.

First recording artist in second position? A white southerner.

Use of positions ain't a black or a white thing. And one position is no
more soulful or expressive than another.

Winslow