[Harp-L] Theory, etc.

>>> Warren Bee <wlb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 2/22/2007 8:36 AM >>>
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing

It's only rock and roll but I like it.

Blues with a feeling.that is what I have today.

I would be equally mesmerized if I was in standing in front of Peg Leg Sam
or Miles Davis.

the whole thread about theory is certainly fascinating.  Everyone seems to
have quite a strong opinion.  I basically agree with the idea put forth by
one of the most articulate and insightful people on the list, Richard
Hunter.  If I can paraphrase my interpretation of it, if you choose not to
use or learn theory you are behind anyone who does.  It doesn't necessarily
make you a better musican, but it certainly can't hurt.  I'm also impressed
by the wide variety of music people on this list listen to.  Maybe harp
players are typical of the overall population in terms of musical
preferences or more open-minded.  On my IPod besides Jason Ricci, Liitle
Walter, and the Blues Travellers, there's lots of music from everyone from
Miles and Coltrane to Red Hot Chili Peppers to Bruce Hornsby.  I would say
Miles probably knew more about theory than the Peppers.  But most rock n
roll is not about brilliant chord changes, it's about the energy and
feeling.  So every kind of music has its own perameters for quality.

This brought up a question to me that I haven't seen before on the list.
Who is credited for inventing cross harp?  i'm assuming it was some old time
poor uneducated musician but how the hell did someone come up with the idea
of playing a harp a 4th above the tonic key?

ms