Re: [Harp-L] cleaning harps after illness?

On 2/21/07, b2becom@xxxxxxxxxxx <b2becom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>

My limited understanding of medical germ theory is that you can't reinfect
yourself after you have fought a bug off and had it run its course.

From the Center for Disease Control

In general, a person who is infected with an influenza virus one year will have some immunity to closely related viruses that may persist for one or more years. For example, if someone was infected with the A/California/07/2004-like strain of H3N2 that predominated during the 2005-2006 season, they are likely to have some natural immunity that will give them protection if they are exposed to that strain or a closely related strain again during the 2006-2007 season. The degree of protection depends on the health of the person involved. Young and healthy people with normal immune systems will likely have good immunity against the same or closely related strains of virus from one year to the next. However, people with weakened immune systems are less likely to have immunity that carries over in other years.

It's important to remember that influenza viruses are constantly changing so
antibody made against one strain will become less effective against new
strains as influenza strains evolve over time.  In addition, there are
different types of influenza viruses circulating and different variants
within virus types, and the same type of flu virus does not necessarily
circulate each year. For instance, during the 2005-06 flu season, influenza
A (H3N2) viruses predominated; however, infection with an influenza A (H3N2)
virus would not provide protection against influenza B or influenza A (H1N1)
viruses.

<SNIP>

Am I delusional? should I clean my harps? a soak in the tub? with what,
alcohol?

<SNIP>
According to a biologist on this list, bleach is a more effective cleaning
agent.