Re: [Harp-L] musical elitism (was timbre etc...)

In all improvisational forms, the music is just a dance within a given set of rules.  Each set of rules comes with its own set of problems to solve.

  As for elitism, each music has its own elitists.  There are blues players that calim jazz has no feeling.  There are pop singers whose sole purpose is to communicate to the masses--they might think that so few people understand jazz and blues that there is no point in performing it.  There are rap artists that may think a melody could get in the way of their message.

  There are classical artists that think jazz, blues, pop, country, and other forms of improvisational "folk" music are lower forms.

  Some people are in awe of musicians that can read anything set in front of them.  Some are in awe of people who don't need a chart and just play by ear.

  I really try to repsct all music even if I don't like it.  I don't always live up to those words, but I try.

always stay connected to friends.