Re: [Harp-L] Re: Difference Tones

Dave, you asked why that website recommends avoiding difference tones. You also said that you
used an ET harp for your examples, and acknowledged that there is "some dissonance" in the
difference tones from an ET harp. I think the point of that article was that if you use a JI
harp, the difference tones are sweet and not dissonant at all. It only takes a little
experimentation with both harps (I tried a Lee Oskar vs a Hering Vintage) to see how much better
the JI difference tones sound.

Jazmaan, the reason that I mentioned ET was that I was using ET frequencies in the math which showed obvious small amounts of dissonance. I didn't get from the web page that they were discussing JI since the difference tones are sweet, as you say. But, your point is well taken about the JI. I retuned a Lee Oskar this weekend to the Major Cross tuning (see http://members.cox.net/dmurray777/majorCross.shtml ) and one of the things that I discovered was that I was supposed to have a bunch of nice chords. I need to improve the tuning on my alteration since the chords didn't sound too sweet. I want to fix that 2nd position V chord on the 123 blow. The idea of a V below the I interests me.

At any rate, my bad if I missed that they were discussing JI, I thought that someone was calling difference frequencies a bad thing in general, and obviously they are not.

I just ordered a couple of Hering Vintages. True JI, not compromise, I've got to hear it. Thanks.

Peace and music,
Dave