[Harp-L] Re: Superlux link (as per Sonny's request)

dennis moriarty <dmoriarty@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://www.avlex.com/pdfs/new_2006/D112C.pdf
> The design of the mike per se looks good but who knows how the
> element sounds.

looking over this spec, a number of questions come to mind.  since it's a
new mic, i assume these were conscious design decisions, not leftovers
from an earlier design.  but i wonder:

why would you go with a built in cable, vs. a standard jack where i could
plug my own, more easily replaceable, cable (perhaps a different length,
coiled, or wireless)?  are there advantages to a built in, besides not falling
out (which hasn't been a problem in my experience)?

is its being omnidirectional a function of the kind of element used?  or is
that a seperable design choice?  i'd think that would make it more prone
to feedback.  is that true? are there sonic advantages to an omni pattern,
vs. unidirectional?

why a bullet shape, vs. something more like a vocal mic?  aside from
its stylistic value, i can see where some find this comfortable to hold
and play.  are there sonic advantages to a bullet shape?  tone effects?

mind you, i'm not criticizing these choices.  i'm just trying to understand
more about these factors in mic design.

thoughts?

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.