Re: [Harp-L] improving the harmonica (SBS harps)

I've got a full standard set of the SBS's. A G C D and F I've also got one of those rare low A's and an F# that was superbly retuned from an F by Pat Missin. My D is mounted on a composite comb but other than the F# mine are all stock. SBS's are pretty much the only harmonicas I'll play stock out of the box. I started playing them when they first came out and I've always kept a set. They play well for me and they are extremely long lived. I might be on my second set. I don't find them at all leaky and the wider spacing doesn't encumber my playing at all. Other than a Low F 10 hole I never ever play a standard pitch 10 hole F. I got the first SBS and never looked back. The only thing I'd change about this harmonica, other than the worthless hole 14, is I'd put them together with screws instead f the nails. They'd be easier to work on. by the way Steve Baker conceived this layout as a 13 hole. I actually had a 13 fole version with standard spacing made. I don't like it any better than the off the shelf ones I usually use. I've never understood why this tuning scheme wasn't more popular. I do think that being a tongue blocker allows you to exploit some of the advantages. Because of the octave layout on the low end being able to play out of either the left or the right side of your mouth yields some interesting possibilities. Definitely my favourite stock harmonica. For some reason I think these and the 365/364 series harmonicas are much more expertly assembled. The reed tolerances are always very tight. The preceding is an opinion and in no way is it intended to represent your thoughts or feelings. Any resemblance to truth is merely coincidental and the author makes no claims, express or otherwise, as to the veracity of the previously expressed opinions. fjm p.s. or ymmv but personally I always exceed the EPA estimates