Re: [Harp-L] Timbre, pitch, intonation

In a message dated 2/15/2007 8:13:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rmcgraw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

           Of course your  right Bob thus my want and need to learn the
theory in the first place, I'm just  making a point about playing by feel. I have
reached a point where I'm just  about ready for that. Maybe I'm justifying my
own feelings of inferiority but  I'm reaching out to people that have no theory
what so ever. Jim Froman is the  best guitar player I have ever played with
and some of my guitar playin' buddies  are making it huge in Nashville, I mean
HUGE. They can't touch his riffs.   He loves country but plays anything that's
music. Brent Mason is the only guy I  can think of that's of the caliber of
this dude. I know he would pleased and  proud if I learned. He played to some
of my originals and ripped and I'm  going to PA. with my 10 track recorder to
have him play on the country and blues  stuff I'm working on. I'd like to have
the terminology down and learn some more  though before I get there. Will you
tell me again the name of that Jazz  book you recommended last week. Thanx so
much big guy.
         Randy

>             Randy
---Yes,  each to their own, of course. If learning more about music
termoniology,  theory, etc takes the fun out of it, then don't do that.
Just play and have  fun; certainly nothing wrong with that!
I will say this: the  time may come when you will want to learn more
about music in a formal way.  When that time comes, I believe you may
find that this learning not only  doesn't take the fun out of music, it
increases it.
I also  think you may find that your music professor friend will be
pleased with  your new knowledge.
WVa Bob