Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Loud extreme amps/ Subject Re: Jason Ricci Acoustic?

Gary writes:

"As good as Jason Ricci was when I saw him open for Kim Wilson, I  could only

take about a half hour of that blinding volume.  Personally, I have always
mixed  the most volume with the Tone  that most of the players who deal with
want,
Chicago style.  Everyone has their own thing, but that is my thing. I don't
need   my ears to ring anymore than they do. Remember, from what the old
timers
told  me, you are playing To the audience, not AT them. But how  many have
actually  spent extensive time with our fathers and  grandfathers that have
set the
stage  so we can all be doing what  we are. It is a very limited group from
the
Chicago  side,  everyone else is pretty much Howard Levy on down."

....now you know I respect you Gary, but just how long ago was  it when you
heard Jason open for Kim Wilson and play at "blinding  volume"s?

I have extremely sensitive hearing...and one could  perhaps not be faulted
for attributing my defense of Jason to the  fact that he's a good personal
friend but for the fact that Smo-Joe, yet  another "sensitive hearing" person...and
no fan of high volumes (like me)  said the very same thing about Jason and
his band as I have...that for  some reason he finds JR&NB easy to listen to
precisely  because they DON'T go past that level into "painful".

Not once have my ears "rung" while listening to Jason Ricci and New  Blood
play.  Yes..it is loud. No..it isn't "too" loud.  There is  a difference.  I've
attended many of Jason's 4 hour long  shows...and am always left wanting more.
  I'm no kid...and I  have a great deal of respect and concern for my
hearing, as  my several posts here about that very subject (and my father's  hearing
loss) can attest.

So before you put something out there and possibly scare people away  from
Jason's shows ....do give another listen to how he plays today..and  not base
your judgment on something he might possibly have done for one  gig before he
had much control over his band's sound  system.

I also hope you weren't referring to Jason Ricci as one of those  playing
"at" his audience rather than "to" them...because frankly, nothing  could be
further from the truth.  HE has his audience in the  palm of his hand...or, rather
-  wrapped around his harp and with him  every step of the way. When you
mention those putting in time with  their fathers and grandfathers, I hope you
remember Jason's time spent  living with, playing with and studying extensively
with the Kimbroughs,  Junior and David?

Just when was the last time you actually saw or heard Jason & New  Blood play
in person?

Can't argue with Dave Fertig.

This is for Jon Compton,  the poster who wanted to hear Jason  play
acoustically?  He does a couple of numbers in his shows...you  can go to the
website...listen to any of the many incredible downloads  (provided by Garry Hodgson of
this list)....but I'll point you  directly to something from the tour in
France.   Christophe Minier provided the recording for this specific one since
Garry  wasn't free to travel:

_Click  here: Internet Archive: Details: Jason Ricci and New Blood Live at
Harmonicas Sur Cher Festival on 2006-05-27_
(http://www.archive.org/details/jrnb2006-05-27.flac16)    - the very 2nd  track "Sonja" is gorgeous.  He plays it
with just Shawn's guitar as  counterpoint in just about every show, but many
times drunk patrons are  yakking over the sweetness of his playing here at
home.    In St. Aignan the French audience was very quiet, listening with respect
 to his playing. Then you might want to listen in to the cuts off Rich  Cohen
& the Blues Prescription's new CD "Sour Mash" on which  Jason guest stars.
Let me know what you think. :)

Elizabeth