[Harp-L] Unusual Stuff

Dear Reeders,
                        Last year I  made a posting inquiring whether
anybody had any examples of harmonica in unusual settings. I forget what
I wrote exactly, but what I had in mind was 'historical' recordings of
harmonica (any variety) used in ethnic/regional music styles outside of
US blues/country/pop; Candian folk; Irish; Scottish; English (and
Australian, too, since that's where I live and we do have a fair few
recordings of players from the 20s & 30s and earlier)
                       When you consider just how cheap the harmonica
was and how widely marketed it must have been, I'm surprised that in my
wide listening I don't hear it all that much outside the above
catagories.
                       Anyhow, I've been listening (still) to Pat
Conte's archived radio programmes on radio wfmu (NY) 'The Secret Museum
of the Air' and although, so far, there's very few examples of harmonica
in this programme of 78RPM records from all over the world (see what I
mean?) I ran across this beauty, from the Dominican Republic: 'Il
Commissario' by the Trio Haragua (that's what it sounded like-could be
spelt 'Jaragua' a suppose)
                      The harp player is playing a tremolo model, and
is very good indeed. It's 1st position playing, but rhythmically
complex. It sounds a little like accordion music from Columbia  (just a
vague impression)
                      If you want to listen the website is
http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/SM  and you'll need to scroll down to
the June 5th 2001 programme titled "78s in the 1960s" (!)
                      The track I'm talking about is at 19.57 minutes.
If you care to listen to the whole programme, there's even a Tahitian
track featuring steel guitar and harmonica. Nothing amazing, but then
again, it is.
                      Incidentally, the terminally hip Mr.Conte
introduces the Trio Haragua by commenting on the excellent harmonica and
suggesting that fans of Blues Traveller should pay attention! Good one
Pat!

Cheers,
Rick Dempster,
Melbourne,