[Harp-L] Sittin' in with Ronnie

Hi gang,

I had a blast sitting in with Ronnie Shellist and
his band on Saturday night. I've been without a
band for several months now, and sharing the stage
with Ronnie and his guys was like a long-awaited
fix to a hopless addict. Ronnie called and asked me
to sit in at his regular Saturday night Blues
Showcase gig at Dazzles in downtown Denver. Quite a
swanky night spot too, I might add.

Ronnie is a terrific player with more technique and
soul coming out of his harp than just about anyone
out there. His chops and phrasing are to impeccable
and he's got tone for days.

His current band, The Ronnie Shellist Blues Band,
is a perfect foil for his considerable talents.
With long-time Denver pros R.D. Jones on bass and
vocals and Tony the "Tiger" on drums, rythms were
tight and it was impossible to loose the groove. I
know both of these guys and they're the best.

Ronnie's guitarist, a young guy named Jerome, who
I'd never heard before, was consistently great all
night long, both with vocals and blistering licks.
Here is a guitiar player who knows how to listen,
respond and deliver flaming solos. Wow!

I know a lot of guys on this list have become aware
of Ronnie through his You Tube videos. Well, quite
simply, he's a formidable player, but he's also a
really great guy who's in immersed in the blues.

Ronnie mostly played through a vocal mic straight
into the PA, but also used a small mic'd amp of
'50s vintage and a bullet mic. I brought in my big
'64 Alamo bass amp and played through my RE-10. The
huge bottom end on my amp was a very cool contrast
to Ronnie's accoustic sound. Often I'd simply play
long, simple low notes (on a low D harp, for
example) under Ronnie's wonderful solos.

Anyway, trading licks with him all night turned out
to be one of the coolest things I'd done with harp
in a very long time. The band seemed willing and
able to go wherever we wanted, turn on a dime, and
we always came out smelling like a rose.

Ronnie and I managed to compliment each other's
playing and avoid clashes. We did some serious
musical exploring too, especially on one number
that R.D. sang that never left the I chord. And the
crowd seemed to love every bit of it.

Great night, great player, great fun.

Hey Ronnie, if you read this, thanks for the chance
to hear you play, and especially for allowing me to
share your stage. Hope I can return the favor some
time. :-)

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

The fish are biting.