From: theharpman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 1:49 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Warren Bee Checkin' In....

I have been a serious lurker as of late. I do read my "digests" religiously.
Recently there have been some great threads and some laughable ones. It is
just an amazing thing when personal thought and opinions collide with the
World Wide Web! As the popular saying goes, "it's all good". Just always
keep the finger on the delete button and take it all with massive grains of
salt. We are all on individual journeys and one persons meat and potatoes
might just not be what some one else is hungry for at any given time.

Harp content wise I have a few things/thoughts to share. First off tonight
(Saturday, Feb 10th) I have a gig here on Long Island, NY. I mentioned it a
while back but want to spread the word in case anybody in my neck of the
world has an interest. The gig is at Grizzly's Sports Den @ 888 Sunrise Hwy
in Bay Shore, NY. It is on the southside service road just past Manor Lane
(exit 42 on Sunrise Hwy,) we are on from 10:30-2:30PM. Mike Mercury and
Inner City Soul is a trio that now with me is a quartet. The line-up is
Bass, Drums, Keyboards and my Harp. I have sat in with these guys a few
times and I know the drummer fairly well but overall this is a real wing-it
situation for me. The set list (of which I have no clue) will be a mix of
Blues, Soul & Rock n' Roll. Playing without rhythm or lead guitar is
different. Lot's of room to spread my improve wings, which is basically what
Warren Bee does best. Recent threads about pattern players, scales, copying
licks, practice regimen etc. always make me both a little insecure and
secure at the same time. I have trouble identifying with all of that. I just
play! I have never learned a song note for note. I still don't have the
patience to"do scales". I have never learned positions as much as I have
discovered them by trial & error along with necessity. Any "patterns" I use
just evolved from playing for over 25 years. When I play tonight it will be
without any rehearsals at all. The last time I sat in with this crew was
back last summer. My number one weapon tonight will be my ears. I will
listen and then I react by breathing emotion through my harps. That has
always been my formula. I know where I am in the pecking order of real harp
players. I am nothing compared to the Ricci's, Michalic's, Peloquin's,
Paparozzi's etc but I have my own style and delivery. Which is what I want
all of you guys and gals to think about no matter where you are in your harp
journey? Don't always go after sounding just like someone else. Be all that
you can be. In my case all that Warren Bee can be!

The "grip" thread was a great one. Michelle had mentioned my name and I was
flattered. I indeed use the "scoop the water" grip. It has always been my
choice because I use the same basic grip with or without a mic in my hands.
The seal between the hands and your face is critical for maximum tone. For
all still working on the grip I suggest thinking about what the end result
you want is and experiment. Many grip their axe in their own special way.
Minor variations for some and major for others. The goals are good seal,
maximum cavity space and the ability to use your hands to shape tones. Most
importantly is have fun. My favorite golfer has a great expression he uses
regularly. John Daly says "grip it and rip it" Right on brother John!

The amp threads are always fun. Tonight I will leave my Sonny Jr 4-10 home
and use my Crate Palomino 16. The room just isn't that big to merit dragging
the "beast" Since I will be doing a lot of background and fill work to
makeup for no guitars I will also mic that baby through the PA. Mostly just
for balance. That Palomino is a fine off the shelf all tube amp. I would
prefer10" speaker but the 12" works. The only mod I did myself to the amp
was replace the first preamp tube 12ax7 with a 12au7. It just gives me more
room before feedback. I will be playing through a custom bullet mic (Dennis
Oellig/ Mr. Microphone) into the Palomino and I will have an SM57 set up
straight through the PA as well. My guess is I will use the PA mic as much
as the amp. Clean through the PA is a great way to do background fills and
control volume on non blues tunes. Especially the ballads (if we do any!)

I will end with a comment on the "wonder repeater thread", John Popper.
Respect everyone period. I respect what that dude has done with the special
20 harmonica and his ambition. I own a few of his albums. I rarely play them
any more. But on a day that I wake up wanting to be inspired and fired up
about working on me, myself and I on the harp. I will crank up some Popper
along with, some Butter, some Cotton, a few Walters, some Sonny's and
various others. Then I will turn off the stereo and listen to me. I love
mys3elf as an audience :-)

Peace, Love & Blow till the Cows come Home!

Warren Bee