Re: [Harp-L] equipment vs talent

The equipment vs talent debate is endless.  The fact is, every player, from the most modest of talents to the best, can always get better tone with better gear.  And they can also get better tone with better technique.  If a beginner wants to spend his dollars on an absurdly expensive custom harp amp, it is fine with me.  If a gifted player (like, say, Jason Ricci) wants to take lessons, that is fine too.

Tone is a subjective thing.  Don't preach to others about how they get it, or what it should sound like to them.  We all go our own way.

I saw a joke once on the JT30.com site:  Q:  How do harp players greet each other?  A:  Hi, I'm better than you.

I think there is some of that here (a very tiny bit, actually), with occasional condescending messages about tone not coming from gear.  Well, tone does not come from a smug attitude either.  It comes from here [tapping my chest...]

Finding fabulous fares is fun.