[Harp-L] equipment vs talent

Hi everybody,

This list has lots of posts on the technical part of harp playing. Amplifiers, speakers, cord/cordless, microphones, crystal elements, harmonicas, reed plates, combs, reeds, screws... That is cool because this is where these things should be discussed.

I don't want to underestimate the role of the hardware in any genre of harp playing. But I think that the "software" amounts to most of the end result. That means a player's technical skill but first and foremost a true feeling and understanding for the music he or she is playing.

We might debate endlessly on Marine Band vs Lee Oskar or the pros and cons of a Fender Bassman's feedback characteristics.

But looking at the really great players shows that in old days they very often played with inferior equipment but still managed to sound extremely good.

Fortunately the top harp players of today have the best of both worlds. Best possible equipment combined with technical skill and the feel for that particular type of playing.

A good player never sounds bad no matter what harp, mike or amp. And if you don't have it, no amount of reverbs, pedals or whatever will get you there.

Harri