Re: [Harp-L] New Fender amp-Do we really need it?

rbeetsme@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I dunno, but I can't really see a need for a "new" amp.  I've been through
> quite a few myself, just trying to educate myself on what works and what
> doesn't.  In the end I sold all of the vintage, hybrid and solid state combos,
> reissues, heads and stacks.
> It made sense to me to just buy a designed for harp amp, let those guys
> do the research!

isn't that exactly what chris is talking about?  all of those things you mentioned
were designed for some other purpose.  he's talking about one designed specifically
for harp.

> I now have Sonnys' 4X10, a Kalamazoo from Greg Heuman and a Kinder
> Texas Crude (bargain price, couldn't turn it down)  It sounds like Garys' new
> amp is great, I have also heard some great players playing through the
> Meteor 2X10, 1X12, the Harpgear Double Trouble, and other harp specific
> amps.  What else do we need?  Is price going to be an issue?

price is always going to be an issue.  i don't doubt for a minute that these great
custom amps are worth every penny.  but most harp players are not willing or
able to afford them.  so they play through guitar amps, and hack around with
tubes to try and make 'em sound right.  now fender proposes toake it sound
"right" for you.  will it be a sonny jr?  of course not.  but it'll be better than a
guitar amp used for harp.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.