RE: [Harp-L] Playing harmonica in a rack?

Rebecca Davis Winters wrote:

> ... Have there ever been any serious harmonica players who utilized a
> rack? How could one ever achieve a decent tone using a rack?

I know what you mean, Rebecca. Playing with a rack presents a distinct
handicap. I wouldn't even attempt it m'se'f. However there are some great
players who can play just fine with a racked harp. Michael just mentioned
several. I've got a few more.  Paul Oscher is a monster with or without a
rack. Tone to the bone! Best racked player I've heard, fer sure. Even plays
a racked bass harp. There's a one-time frequent harp-l'er, Iron Mike Curtis,
who plays a mean racked, half-valved C harp chromatically, along with a
guitar and a bass rig he built hisse'f that he operates using a set of organ
bass pedals. Also, it's obvious you've never heard our own Peter Madcat Ruth
play a racked harp. Sheesh! I've never had the pleasure of hearing Rick
Epping play racked along with a squeeze box but he is known for it. One
could hardly find a more serious harper than him.  Lastly, when ever I think
of racked harp, I think of the classic one-man blues band, Dr. Ross. Cat had
right nice tone even playing racked. IMO, unracked he ranked with the best
of 'em tone-wise.

> My feeling is, you have players like Bob Dylan, Taj Mahal, and Neil Young,
> who use the harp as something of a flavoring, and are kind of known for
it,
> but (in my feeling) do not really dedicate themselves to the instrument.
> There's also Jimmy Reed, who for me comes the closest to actually being a
> harmonica player of note who used a rack. But his playing was not, in my
> opinion, particularly virtuosic. His songs are great and that's really
what
> it's all about. His singing and harp playing were, well, distinctive. But
> technically outstanding? I don't think so.

Michael did a good job of presenting Jimmy Reed in a more generous and I
think accurate light.

> But then, I could be wrong. I'd love to hear it, if it exists - rack
> harmonica playing that is more than just functional or mildly decorative.

Check out some of the players Michael and I have mentioned. Most of them
have web sites or are easily accessible at on-line CD stores.

Look, there's no getting around the fact that the inability to use hand
effects eliminates the kind of tonal palette we're used to hearing from a
great player. Still, some terrific harp has been and will continue to be
played on a rack.

> What are your feelings on racks? Are they handy for
multi-instrumentalists?
> Or do you find yourself snickering at the very thought of such a
contraption?

Racks are indespensible for multi-instrumentalists. My take is that racked
players get a bad "rap" because nearly every guitar player feels compelled
to add a racked harp to their bag of tricks.  And nearly all of them sound
terrible when they do. I personally don't eschew racked playing because I
think they're a gimmick or anything like that. I'm not talented enough to
even attempt another instrument, so I've no need for one. I do, however,
think that most of them look like bent-up coat hangers and are pretty flimsy
and silly looking. I wouldn't care to stake my professional musical career
on one of them. But then, I'm only a rank amateur at best.  8^)

Michelle