Re: [Harp-L] Tasty harp, circa 1979

In a message dated 2/8/2007 4:09:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rlaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

        Boy yall's is bringin' back some  memories for me this mornin'. First
the Sly Stone lick starts playing in my head  and now I can see that bass
player playing with a rack. I can't remember the  name of the club (help me out
here Blake) but I saw Johnny Winters in Cincinnati  at a small club that has
some real good shows. We went early and got a seat  right up by the stage.
Nothing like sitting at a table looking up at Mr Winters  and his bass player while
the waitress served us. Ever since I saw that I have  had this idea for
playing the harp while playing the guitar but without the  rack. I have something
else in mind that I think would make it easier to bend  and do trills. I never
could figure out how to use a rack right, although I do  Sweat Virginia that
way. For anybody interested in doing Sweat Virginia,  (Rolling Stones) the
easiest way I know how to do it and play guitar at the same  time is to transpose
the song to the key of G and play the harp part with an A  harp. I don't know
what position it is but the licks work out pretty  easy. I think it may be
first position 'cause most of the notes are blow  notes.
           Randy

Here's a  clip of Johnny Winter's band, with the bassist doubling on
neck-rack harp,  with some plastic gizmo surrounding. Not bad for racked harp, whilst
playing  along on  bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyxsH1ybEuA

Bob