Re: [Harp-L] Pattern Player

I understand the original post and this one.

  We are all pattern players to some extent.  Simply playing and staying in second position is considered pattern playing by many musicians on other instruments.

  I hope that someday I will be able to tap straight into my soul and play exactly what I feel.  I have only been able to do that for a few bars at a time on a few occasions.  Other times, I fall back on the patterns I have practiced.

  We all have "signature licks."  They may not be original, but we will play them, consciously or not, in whole or in part several times a night.

  As for the original post, I think that the intention was to examine the blind playing of certain scales, arpeggios, and/or  patterns simply for the fact that they are fast and they fit the progression without considering the song or situation.

  It's an issue of personal growth.  A better issue might be how to step out of the rut of the practice room while onstage--a "how to" on musically accessing one's soul.

  I have never ingested any illegal drugs.  However, I imagine the whole process is similar to some information related to me about cocaine.  I have been told that cocaine simply "enhances one's personality."  I wonder--does cocaine make an idiot a bigger idiot?  In that case, is it better not to snort at all?

B Boggs <ceudoazul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I play what I like. If other people like it, It makes me happy. Brain's are spongelike as we are primates. Patterns exist in nature and man is part of nature. I am not a professional. I do like harp and harp-l.