[Harp-L] Changing breathing direction - switching

Hey folks,

Thought I'd pick everybody's brains here about the current thing I'm
thinking about.  Is this Bush administration the closest thing to Fascism in
America yet or what?  No, no.  That's not what really what I wanted to
discuss.  What I wanted to discuss it the act/idea/problem/challenge/what
ever of switching breath direction in Blues harmonica.

It seems to me that in most blues playing (the traditional guys; take your
pick) the riffs and phrasing is structured so that there aren't a lot of
instances wherein one must quickly change breath direction in the middle of
a fluid phrase or melody line.  Having said that, I'm sure there are many of
you out there who are saying to yourselves 'oh contraire!'  Well I want to
know about that.  Site some examples if you can.  The other thing is that
I'd appreciate if anybody has any wisdom on how to strengthen one's
fluidity, or smoothness in executing the kind of phrasing where there is
abrupt switching in mid phrase.  As I've learned now from experience, most
of the technique related challenges I encounter in playing blues harp are
best taken up by simply practicing like crazy and trying everything.  But,
hay, if someone can point out a course of practice that gets me there
sooner- well that's what this list is made for.  Thanks.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh