[Harp-L] Re: Harp vs. harmonica

Harri writes:

< Harp and harmonica are interchangeable words for the same instrument. >

Absolutely, and because they mean one and the same instrument the
discussion about harp and harmonica players is superfluous like a
goitre (goiter), as we say in Germany. That goes also for the FAQ where
the term "harp" is coming from.

Recently, someone distinguished a violonist and a fiddler (it was Winslow
if I remember right) and he explained the difference quite convincing.

In reading this I recalled a musician playing violin in the streets of
Cologne. He used to wear old torn jeans, a long beard, so, his outfit
was totally neglected. Known in the whole city as "Max der Geiger"
(Max the fiddler) he sometimes played with the violin bow upside
down = like a saw with the violin between or inside the bow and
made alot of other gags. Winslow surely would say that this man
is an ideal example what a fiddler is.

However, just a moment. In former times this man played the 1. violin
in the Cologne Philharmonic Orchestra as a music professor and
his fee wasn´t small. But then he became a hippy or dropout,
changed his outfit and the philharmonic concerts for the street
music, whatever the reasons might have been. He even changed
the classical music for banal protest street songs.

OK, one can say that a violonist can become a fiddler but not
the other way round.

Just for entertaining,

Siegfried